Raising awareness on
Cannabis (Marijuana) Misuse
Cannabis (Marijuana) is a greenish-gray mixture of dried flowers of Cannabis sativa. The main psychoactive, or mind-altering, chemical in marijuana is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Cannabidiol (CBD) comes from hemp or non-hemp plants, and is any part of the cannabis sativa plant with no more than 0.3% of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Marijuana and Cannabis
Effects of Cannabis (Marijuana) Misuse
Cannabis use directly affects brain function, specifically, parts of the brain responsible for learning, attention, decision-making, coordination, emotions, and reaction time. Developing brains (under the age of 25) may experience long-term or possibly permanent adverse changes as a result of cannabis exposure.
- Dry mouth
- Fear and Paranoia
- Feeling unmotivated
- Short-term memory problems
- Bloodshot eyes
- Lowered reaction time
- Loss of sense of person identity
- Increased heart rate
- Decline in IQ
- Poor school performance
- Impaired thinking
- Impaired ability to learn and perform complex tasks
- Lower life satisfaction
- Antisocial behaviors
- Difficulty obtaining or maintaining employment
Of Cannabis(Marijuana) use among College Students
Failing a required drug test for college athletes which results in no longer being eligible to play
Missed Career Opportunities
Skipping classes and missing events
Methods of Use
Potency of Cannabis
- Onset occurs within a few seconds to a few minutes of inhaling.
- Full effects can peak within 30 minutes.
- Duration of effects can last up to 6 hours, with residual effects lasting up to 24 hours
- Onset occurs within 30 minutes to 2 hours of ingesting.
- Full effects can peak within 4 hours.
- Duration of effects can last up to 12 hours after use, with residual effects lasting up to 24 hours.
- Onset occurs within minutes of use.
- Duration of effects last approximately 2 hours.
- Highly concentrated form of cannabis containing higher THC content than other forms of cannabis.
- Onset is immediate, while the duration of effects usually last about 3 hours.
Defining Common Marijuana Misuse Terms
Amount of THC present in a cannabis sample.
The act of taking a substance into the body by breathing.
The process of taking food, drink, or another substance into the body by swallowing or absorbing it.
Refers to substance applied to a particular place on the body.
A broad term referring to all products that have ben extracted from the plant containing a high potency of THC.